[squeak-dev] USe of isKindOf: is a crime against humanity

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 09:39:19 UTC 2013

It's not terribly OO, I agree. It's useful in a kind've pattern
matching-y way (albeit pattern matching lite). I used it deliberately
when playing around with derivative parsing. Take a look at
#isNullableBlock here:
https://github.com/frankshearar/Parsing-Derivatives/blob/master/Derivatives/DerivingParser.st

isNullableBlock
    | n |
    n := nil.
    n := [:p |
        p class caseOf: {
            [Empty] -> [false].
            [EmptyString] -> [true].
            [EpsStar] -> [true].
            [Literal] -> [false].
            [LiteralSet] -> [false].
            [Union] -> [(n value: p left) or: [n value: p right]].
            [Cat] -> [(n value: p first) and: [n value: p second]].
            [Red] -> [n value: p parser].
            [StarParser] -> [(n value: p parser) or: [p parser isEmpty]].
            [DelayedParser] -> [n value: p force].
            [DelegateParser] -> [n value: p parser]}
        otherwise: [Error signal: 'isNullable not defined for ', p
className]] lfpWithBottom: false.
    ^ n.

(We're _effectively_ using #isMemberOf: (I think? I can never remember
which is "is this class" and which is "is this class or subclass") by
switching on `p class`.)

I switch on type here because I'm much more interested here in the
algorithm, and I can concentrate the whole thing into one place,
rather than use implementors-of to view and a Browser to extend.

But if you could mark methods as belonging to the same "conceptually
same method split into multiple parts like a type-switching pattern
match" you could have a special Browser assemble all the parts to
display them together, as well as make it easily to extend the
"partial method". When you use Traits the Browser +
SystemChangeNotification stuff lets you do all sorts of nifty things
that feel like you're working with (lisp) macros while also letting it
look like everything's flattened. We need more of that.

frank