[squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Sep 2 19:10:07 UTC 2013

On 02-09-2013, at 5:25 AM, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah but on this particular list, the diaspora isn't as interesting as what we're going to do with the bits we've got. I'm a huge fan of and advocate of Cuis, in part because the Cuis crowd still dreams of becoming the basis of a future Squeak. The Pharo crowd though, with Elvis, has left the building.

I pretty much agree.

> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there is no point in making internationalization unloadable.

I agree, I think. I certainly haven't been looking at this as part of trying to get rid of i18n stuff and the only sense in which I think it would be desirable to make it unloadable is in the very wide aim of making *everything* unloadable. Which isn't actually something I think is sensible, being more of a "make it buildable from a recipe" kinda guy.

> There is a better image for this purpose and it's named Cuis.

Cuis is excellent and if I had near-inifinite time available I'd work on it.

> So +1 for merging the single and multi Character*

I'm not so much trying to merge as understand and clean up so it works as neatly as possible. If merging gets us there, good.

> Also note that Pharo has greater plans about text composition refactorings…

I tried out a pharo image, didn't much enjoy it and don'y have time to put any greater effort than that into it. They've gone their own way, do their own thing and maybe they will come up with something wonderful and successful.

What I really could do with finding out is who - if anyone - wrote, maintains, cares about, understands, whatever, the current collection of classes involved. I'd much rather find out what was intended from the horse's mouth than have to infer it all from complicated code with little commenting and no background docs.

tim
Useful random insult:- On permanent leave of absence from his senses.