Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.5 VNC Viewer debugging question: how to    think    about this?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Tue Sep 3 14:58:02 UTC 2013

Levente,

Thanks.

A tree on my /etc/ssl shows the .pem you mentioned.

bash-4.2$ tree /etc/ssl | grep DigiCert
|   |-- 244b5494.0 -> DigiCert_High_Assurance_EV_Root_CA.pem
|   |-- 3513523f.0 -> DigiCert_Global_Root_CA.pem
|   |-- DigiCert_Assured_ID_Root_CA.pem -> /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/DigiCert_Assured_ID_Root_CA.crt
|   |-- DigiCert_Global_Root_CA.pem -> /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/DigiCert_Global_Root_CA.crt
|   |-- DigiCert_High_Assurance_EV_Root_CA.pem -> /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/DigiCert_High_Assurance_EV_Root_CA.crt
|   |-- b1159c4c.0 -> DigiCert_Assured_ID_Root_CA.pem

My only experience with certs is to read a HOWTO every time I deal with them. I don't have a real understanding of it, only an application developers "get it working" perspective.

What I am doing now is eliminating doubts I have about Cog and Sqeak4.4 and Squeak4.5 by installing Squeak4.3.
Both 4.4 and 4.5 have a bug where you cannot modify a class comment without throwing an error. If that's suspect, then perhaps the plugins are suspect.

Also, I copied my working environment to a 32 bit linux box with a new install of Slack 14 and I got the same error.
To me, that eliminates the Alien Bob 32 bit compatibility lib issue, so I can work on my normal 64 bit machine.

If the problem persists with 4.3, I will do that investigation.

thx.

---- On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 07:25:45 -0700 Levente Uzonyi<leves at elte.hu> wrote ----

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, gettimothy wrote:

> I am running Squeak 4.5 /w Cog on Slackware Linux 64. I am beginning to suspect its a problem with my Alien Bob 32 bit compatability libraries.
> Yesterday, I attempted a call to Stripe.com using WebClient and I got a primitive failed for SqueakSSL even though the SqueakSSL bundle is there.

You should check which primitives fail, and what error code you get. It's
possible that SqueakSSL can't verify the server's certificate, because you
don't have a root certificate for the CA of that domain. Check if
/etc/ssl/certs contains any file, especially something like
DigiCert_High_Assurance_EV_Root_CA.pem (used by stripe.com).

Levente