[squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Sep 6 23:51:56 UTC 2013

On 06-09-2013, at 3:26 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:

> At Fri, 6 Sep 2013 23:02:57 +0200,
> Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>> Hi Yoshiki,
>> I also note that there is a presentation and presentationLine in
>> MultiCharacterScanner, could you tell a word about theses inst. vars.?
>
> That (IIRC) was also something to do with the mapping from the logical
> sequence of code points (that is what a Unicode string is) to the list
> of "characters" that can be used to fetch the glyphs.   IOW,
> "presentation" is something created by looking at combinations in the
> logical sequence.
>
> Again, we did not go too far; I think we supported a simple accented
> characters but not much more.

So far as I could tell from looking at senders and implementors, there wasn't really any use made of 'presentation' and not much of 'presentationLine'; certainly little enough that my *guess* would be they could go away without changing anything.

tim
Useful random insult:- Suffers from permanent rapture of the deep.  (Nitrogen narcosis.)