[squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 22:30:38 UTC 2013

On 4 September 2013 03:21, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 02-09-2013, at 12:45 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> > Who, if anyone, is maintaining the FreeType package? Who, if anyone, is
> using it? It has some rather old methods that nastily over-ride more recent
> methods in the trunk image. That implies it is moribund to me.
>
> Well it certainly sounds like nobody cares about FreeType. I guess that
> means nobody will mind as I rewrite some of the low-level font/scanner code
> and almost certainly break FreeType.

(sorry for being late on topic)

In Pharo, we certainly do. But FreeType code also needs a decent review and
cleanup for sure.
The freetype packages is an integral part of pharo base image, and
maintained there.
As for its plugin, i even managed to fix a bug recently in it.. in
primitive which nobody uses though..
mainly because i had plans to use it, but i haven't time to play an
experiment, yet. (i am still thinking
, maybe naively, that FT rendering speed can be improved).

Concerning MultiCharacterMeetPainfulDeathWhenStaringAtIt ... it just
impossible to do something with it,
especially considering that it used for rendering text, and if you
break/change  it , you won't be able to fix it
(because the image is using the very same code which you just broke to
render all text.. ).
At least in Pharo, we decided to not even try to do something about it (and
as far as i know, nobody tries
to do anything for years), instead we decided to write things from
scratch,and when it will be ready, throw
all this out without a bit of regret.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.