[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] blog post on lazy become

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Sep 13 22:52:32 UTC 2013

Eliot Miranda wrote:
>     I've just published a blog post on lazy become and the partial read
> barrier in Spur.  I'd really appreciate criticism, preferrably as comments
> on the blog page.  This is one of the riskier parts of the design so it
> really does need to be pounded on. --

I was going to ask about doing a #become: on an object in the stack of a
different thread, but re-reading the discussion in the comments section
of your "Under Cover Contexts and the Big Frame-Up" blog post I think
you have that covered as well.

One feature of the Tektronix Smalltalk was that they eliminated most
(all?) uses of #become: by separating the growable parts of things like
OrdredCollection into a separate object. Self doesn't have 'become:' in
theory, though in practice you can add or delete slots to an existing
object which has all of the same complications.

-- Jecel