MorphicDesigner (was Re: [squeak-dev] Installer/metacello/squeak4.5 issue due to change of gemstone to gemtalksystems)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Sep 18 22:14:13 UTC 2013

So around a month ago I reported problems when trying to load the MorphicDesigner
(https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer) project. I tried it again this morning and aside from the rather long and windy process of installing metacello and then morphicdesigner it all went well.

MD is quite interesting. It's a kinda-traditional UI builder, in contrast to Chris Muller's 'Maui' project for example, but has some nice touches. There are quite a few extra classes loaded as part of the install and I have no idea right now if they're actually essential or not - is an animation framework really required for such a tool?  It's quite a nice framework though…

I wish I had time to really dig into both this and Maui, but since I don't I want to wave the flag a bit to see if someone else can be Tom Sawyered into evaluating them. Perhaps there are synergies that might encourage us to use a bit of both? Should we work towards making sure such a tool is fully supported as a standard item for Squeak?

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 1) "Behold, the keyboard of Kalis!  The greatest Klingon code warrior that ever lived!"