MorphicDesigner and Maui (was MorphicDesigner (was Re: [squeak-dev] Installer/metacello/squeak4.5 issue due to change of gemstone to gemtalksystems))

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Sep 19 22:53:27 UTC 2013

On 18-09-2013, at 7:33 PM, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> It (MD) has a spreadsheet style view right?

Hmm, not sure I'd describe it that way. A blank sheet of.. screen? .. with the ability to use table or proportional or 'put it there' layout style. On the right you get a sorta-inspector of the selected morph.

> FWIW, when I tried checking it out, it either didn't work in Squeak or I was missing something about how to use it.

Try watching the four videos linked by the project page; they make some sense, though more would be nice. I get the impression it wasn't quite finished. I noticed some visual flickering that implies some over-enthusiastic updating for example. I suspect it could be improved to make it simpler still to use.

> WRT Maui: the ST-80 inspector is nice, but I think there's a lot more it could do. Maui is worth looking at, whether we integrate parts of it, or pillage it for its excellent ideas.

I very much like the live-build idea in Maui - I did a faintly similar thing at ParcPlace when we were inventing LearningWorks but the graphics back then really didn't support the concept terribly well.

I think both ways of doing things have their benefits and it would be nice to be able to use either or both in combination.

> One of the things on my longer term list is to bring something like Maui to Cuis, so I might be compelled to contribute here once I've got how-I'm-paying-rent nailed down.
Ah, that stuff. Been there too. Good luck.

tim
Never trust a computer you can't lift.