[squeak-dev] sqConnectToAddressSize: Address family not supported by protocol

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 09:03:41 UTC 2013

It's actually harder to tell than that. If you say "connect to
www.kame.net" you'll issue some kind of DNS request. IPv6 addresses
are stored in AAAA records and IPv4 addresses in A records, so if you
ask for both you could end up connecting using either IPv6 or IPv4,
depending on how the socket code's written.

For instance you could write the socket connection logic to say
'resolve for AAAA and A, and iterate over the AAAA records trying to
connect to each IPv6 address in turn, falling back to the A records,
and bailing as a last resort'. I have no idea how Squeak's network
code will do this. Running strace would tell you the OS level calls
Squeak made, which should shed some light on the problem.

Just yesterday I ran into a problem at work where 'localhost' meant
127.0.0.1 on my machine, and ::1 on a build slave. That wasn't fun to
understand.

frank