[squeak-dev] Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

Jeff Gonis jeff.gonis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 04:05:52 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> And I will agree to pretend that it was morally justified. Which in this
> case might actually be so ;-)
>
> I use workspaces for all sorts of things unrelated to "coding". But
> perhaps some creative
> person could come up with a convenient way to apply syntax highlighting to
> specific portions
> of a workspace? It might be nice if I could have a workspace that contains
> my grocery shopping
> list and does syntax highlighting on only the portions of the shopping
> list that I actually
> intended to be interpreted as Smalltalk expressions. But I would be very
> annoyed if some of
> my workspaces started giving syntax errors related to toothpaste, toilet
> paper, and six-packs
> of beer.
>
> Or perhaps a smart workspace could distinguish the difference between
> sections of text
> that were probably intended as Smalltalk, versus text that was more likely
> intended as
> a shopping list?
>
> Dave

It seems to me like Squeak just needs some different tools.  A workspace
strikes me as specifically related to code.  I mean the right click menu
mentions inspecting, debugging, printing, etc. All things that have as
little relevance to your grocery list as syntax highlighting would.

If you need a quick grocery list, why don't we knock up a "Todo" list app,
throw it on Squeakmap, and have install a menu entry when you load it.

We could grab Cuis' text editor project, and throw it up on Squeakmap, and
now people who wanted to write up a quick message or blog post wouldn't
have to abuse what is clearly a code tool.

Rather than trying to overload what a workspace recognizes as text or code,
we could just add tools more suited to the work you want while making the
workspace more suited to the job it was designed for. Coding.

Note that my tone is somewhat provocative here, deliberately so, but hey
you guys started it, what with your drone strikes and all!