[squeak-dev] Features of text composition with different alignments and CharacterBlockScanner

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 29 21:35:27 UTC 2013

That is opening a can of very scary worms, with large amounts of super-hot pepper added, and liquorice (I hate it).

My starting point is "let's keep it as simple as possible even if it might be wrong, unless it really annoys us". We can always make it more correct(er)  later(er).

I think the approach generally would be along the lines of 'spaces only count between non-space characters'. Uh, then it gets complicated when a space (or more than one) is at the start of the line. Or at the end. Or in the middle, when there is a tab as well.

OK, so it isn't simple. Bugger.

What *should* damn well be simple is finding some authoritative source to tell us what should happen. This isn't rocket science - it's stuff that has been sorted for centuries by skilled typographers. Somebody, somewhere, has written down the proper thing to do. All we need to do is find it...

tim
Strange OpCodes: DUL: Delete Utility Library