[squeak-dev] Debugger source code selection annoyance

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Apr 1 00:11:01 UTC 2014

I’m seeing occasional really annoying behaviour in the code pane of the debugger. It’s hard to pin down quite what might triggers it, so I’m not about to attempt to find an easy recipe right now.

Problem: sometimes the code pane gets into a state whereby no matter where you try to select - in order to printIt on a snippet of code, for example - it will jump the selection back to some other place. Right now for example I’m looking at
startDrag: evt
	| rootForGrab |
	self break.
	rootForGrab := owner rootForGrabOf: self.
	rootForGrab
		ifNil: [^ self].
	rootForGrab position: evt hand position + (self topLeft - evt cursorPoint).
	evt hand grabMorph: rootForGrab
and if I try to select ‘evt cursorPoint’ to cmd-p, the selection jumps back to ‘hand’. It looks like it might be something to do with the #step code since if I’m really quick I can do cmd-a,cmd-c and copy the entire method (as I did above).

Switching to another method in the stack and then back seems to make no difference. I’m not at all certain, but there is some possibility it only happens with methods which have the toggle-break on. They are after all likely to be methods I look at in the debugger.

I’m not using a totally up to date image here (update #13297) so it’s possible the problem was fixed before the 4.5 final. I can’t do anything much to try this out in a final 4.5 image right now because I simply can’t spare the time on something so intermittent.

I hate giving such vague bug reports but when the problem is sufficiently rare you can’t do much else.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SEXI: Sign EXtend Integer