[squeak-dev] Services, Universes, SqueakMap browser all seem broken in 4.5

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 9 02:52:56 UTC 2014

While looking around in a 4.5 image to prepare to move my code into the ‘official’ image I idly noodled around some of the docking bar menus.

I noticed that the Apps->Services Browser opened something that appears to actually be the PreferencesBrowser, and that after taking a look at the Services classes I have no idea what the entire package is supposed to do nor whether it is used much. Is it actually useful?

I noticed that Apps->Universe Browser doesn’t do anything fun because it can’t load any data from the now non-existent universes.dnsalias.net And there are two entries (Apps->Package Universe Browser & Apps->Universe Browser) that open what looks to be identical browsers. IIRC we are planning to remove this stuff anyway, so perhaps it doesn’t matter too much.

I noticed that Apps->SqueakMap Catalog & Categories sort-of open but after supposedly updating the contents hardly any of the packages you can see via a plain web browser appear in the lists. For example, in the development tools section I see only LispKit & Prolog and not the perhaps 100 other packages.

And since one of the things I was originally intending to check on was space usage, I’m amazed to see 3Mb of strings (that’s about War and Peace), 9000 MCVersionInfo instances (and similar numbers of MCVersionName + DateAndTime, and Date, and Time). Wow. We’re holding on to too much stuff somewhere...

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! = Don't you dare erase my hard disk!