[squeak-dev] Services, Universes, SqueakMap browser all seem broken in 4.5

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:21:04 UTC 2014

> The only problem I have with SqueakMap is that for packages like
> TwosComplement or PunchedCards on SqueakMap, which run on more or less
> any version of Squeak, I am expected to remember to update those packages
> on SqueakMap every time someone releases a new Squeak version. This is
> annoying and eventually I might run out of patience and forget to do it.

What's more annoying is bit-rot, having a bunch of stuff listed in
SqueakMap that doesn't work.  That's what led to its horrible
reputation.

The whole purpose of the Catalog is to tell me what software is
_available_ -- e.g., what *works*.  If it can't do that, it's useless.
 The only way it can do that is to require that we manually designate
new releases of packages for each new release of Squeak.

Which is why I tried to make that process as quick and painless as
possible.  And it's clearly documented here:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180

It takes just a few minutes per package.  How often are new Squeak
versions put out?  So, a few minutes per year per package seems like a
small price to pay for solving the bit-rot problem..