[squeak-dev] Services, Universes, SqueakMap browser all seem broken in 4.5

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 18:26:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 09-04-2014, at 5:18 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>> The only problem I have with SqueakMap is that for packages like
>> TwosComplement or PunchedCards on SqueakMap, which run on more or less
>> any version of Squeak, I am expected to remember to update those packages
>> on SqueakMap every time someone releases a new Squeak version. This is
>> annoying and eventually I might run out of patience and forget to do it.

By following the SqueakMap Publishing Guidelines, this issue is
avoided / solved.

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182

See under heading "Guidelines for writing the script for the head release".

To wit, it suggests using the provided script to enable a trunk-like
process for every cataloged project.  For example, you can simply
"install" it again and it will do a merge so even if you've made local
changes, you won't lose them.

(But, please note the Guidelines also request you make at least one
*fixed-configuration* so its at least preserved in SOME version of
Squeak, protected from bit-rot.

> That’s an important issue; somebody either leaving the squeak world, or being busy, or forgetful or whatever, can effectively kill a package.

I somewhat disagree.  Packages don't die.  They just "sleep" until the
need it fulfilled is needed again, and someone comes looking and finds
it and, even if only a fixed-configuration for an older version of
Squeak is available, by the Publishing Guidelines they at least know
it will WORK in taht version of Squeak and can do the (usually simple)
work of porting it forward to current Squeak.

> There must be a way to allow ‘other’ to tag a package as ok for a later release.

Yes, it's the head release described by the Publishing Guidelines.

> There probably ought to be away to wrest ownership from an absent landlord.

Yes, that is requirement #9 at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6183,
which is fulfilled by the Community-Supported tag.  We used when YOU
were the absent landlord for a few years..  :)

   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-July/164962.html