[squeak-dev] Services, Universes, SqueakMap browser all seem broken in 4.5

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 9 19:35:04 UTC 2014

On 09-04-2014, at 11:53 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I agree about what is wanted (except I’d like to know how we could get rid of the other 2500 version-thingies as well) and the proxy problems.
>
> See the picture.
>
> The idea was to make that "10" a preference value, and to change the
> tools like "History" to respect the preference.  Because usually we
> don't need to look back more than 10 versions, but when we did it'd
> retrieve it automatically, dynamically, silently.

Nice idea in general though I’m not often a fan of the ‘silent’ bit. And especially not a fan of the ‘unasked massive file loading’ aspect. Replacing the ancestry with a stub that can fetch the rest of the history is an excellent idea but how about making it ask the user first? It may well be inconvenient or even impossible to fetch the files, for example. I can see that there might be places where allowing the user to prevent loading something might cause other problems, but surely catching those cases would be preferable to getting the error from a failed network probe?

> And to use that same concept to speed up our trunk-development process
> because how much time do we spend waiting on "Updating
> www.source.squeak.org/trunk" progress bar?

If it only needs doing once for a particular image/repository (?) then I’m not sure that it is a bad thing to notify the user about, give them a chance to decline, proceed if wanted.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- APRES MOE LE DELUGE - Larry and Curly get wet