[squeak-dev] How do I convince a Workspace to stop "helping" me?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 15:11:09 UTC 2014

Frank wrote:

> What would make
> auto-enclose much more paredit like is automating the manipulation of
> parens.  Not just adding a ) every time you type a ( but letting e you
> "slurp" expressions into the enclosing paren (whether [], {} or ()
> parens) or "burp" them out, deleting empty pairs of parens, and so on.

Hey, did you happen to know about Command+', Command+Shift+",
Command+(, Command+[, and Command+Shift+{ ?   :-)   They let you do
exactly what I think you're saying.

1) Select an expression by either click+drag, double-clicking just
inside any of ', ", (, [, {, }, ], or ), or, if you're at the
keyboard, Command+Space when the text-cursor is positioned there.
Note, the selection does not include the bracket/paren characters
themselves, but up-to just inside them.

2) Press one of the above-mentioned Command key sequences.  If you
press the same one that you're already in, it will toggle between
adding/removing that expression ("slurp").  If you press one of those
Command-key sequences that is different than the expression, it will
add that surrounding bracket around the expression, toggling it on and
off ("burp").

 - Chris