[squeak-dev] SqueakMap server

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 07:40:34 UTC 2014

On 14 April 2014 23:21, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Migration" means we'd have two catalogs.  One with migrated stuff,
> the other with unmigrated stuff.  So, when one goes looking for
> MorphicWrappers they would need to first check the "new-SqueakMap" to
> see if it had been migrated and, if not, go and look at the "old"
> SqueakMap.  The whole purpose of a single, uniform, accepted Catalog
> is to avoid this kind of confusion.

That is not what migration means. Migration means replacing the
existing thing with a new thing, with a short transition period so you
know the new one's good, _and destroying the old one_.

> The entire legacy SM domain model is currently up to 722k (up from
> 700k more than 3 years ago).  It's an elegant domain model that
> resides entirely in memory and doesn't need changed at all to replace
> the server implementation.  Part of the model refers to a place in a
> directory structure on the SM server for the .st or .sar files.  So
> there's nothing to "migrate".  We just need to replace the server
> implementation and keep this same domain model and storage directory
> structure.  Sure, it they can be "refined" on a whim but that's not
> necessary to replace the server.

I tried to add a feature (it's from two years ago, and I can't be
bothered to trawl the list to find out the details - perhaps it was so
you could publish to multiple Squeak versions from within the in-image
client?) to SM that required understanding the client/server protocol.
I gave up after a handful of hours because I couldn't reverse engineer
the protocol.

> Some people want to have a new, empty SqueakMap so we can keep track
> of what's "new and shiny" apart from what's "old and dusty".  That's
> understandable and SM already delineates new from old, what's been
> uploaded recently, what works for new versions of Squeak's and what
> for old versions.

Some people are clearly silly. SM tags everything, so if you want
"new, shiny" you just use a new tag.

frank