[squeak-dev] how to break 4.5...

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Apr 15 19:59:43 UTC 2014

Well, maybe not break, but definitely make unusable for me with no way
to back out that I am aware of.

First, install the Connectors package

then, create the fully-connected graph that I create in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwwjOO84Sn8

Now, try to disable any kind of user interaction for edges of the graph
by doing:

NCAAConnectorMorph allInstances do: [:ea| ea lock: True].

Yes, its the wrong syntax. Yes I'm stupid. But Squeak is now permanently
locked, and I can't get around it except by force-quiting that I can see.

Squeak appears to freeze. numerous cmd-periods bring up a buncha
"NonBooleanReceiver: proceed for truth" messages, none of which can be
interacted with (not close window, not click any button, etc) and
eventually cmd-period doesn't do anything either. No menus work, etc.

Clicking inside the Squeak window actually slows down the Mac GUI when
dragging the Squeak window for a while. It seems clear the interpreter
is still running, but interface via the GUI is hosed.

Eep.

In case you were wondering, I was trying to see if I could disable
mouse-interaction with the edges of the graph as a way of speeding up
and making more reliable, interaction with the nodes...

Lawson

--
Squeak from the very start (introduction to Squeak and Pharo Smalltalk for the (almost) complete and compleate beginner).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian Kernighan