[squeak-dev] open paren/brace/bracket...

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Apr 17 19:20:20 UTC 2014

On 17-04-2014, at 11:59 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>
> OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>

> The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.  Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

I’m not keen on it as a default either. Fortunately we had a rant about it just the other day so I know how to rurn it off - dig out the Auto enclose option in ‘Morphic’. Not, by the way, in ‘morphic’. How did we end up with two categories differing only in capitalisation?

You might want to turn off  ‘Multi-window browsers’ and ‘Reuse windos’ in ‘browsing too. Drives me nuts.

tim
Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with a truly extensive vocabulary