[squeak-dev] A UTC based implementation of DateAndTime

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Aug 6 02:26:06 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 01:48:44PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> I have been working on a variation of class DateAndTime that replaces its
> instance variables (seconds offset jdn nanos) with two instance variables,
> utcMicroseconds to represent microseconds elapsed since the Posix epoch, and
> localOffsetSeconds to represent the local time zone offset. When instantiating
> the time now, A single call primitiveUtcWithOffset is used to obtain these
> two values atomically as reported by the underlying platform.

I originally posted this as email to squeak-dev a couple of months ago. I have
now added a page for it on the swiki at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6197 with
the original SAR file attached. I have also put the code into Monticello on SS3
at http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/UTCDateAndTime. The SS3 repository has a few minor
updates since my original posting.

The SS3 archive has MCM update maps that, if loaded in sequence, can be used
to update a Squeak trunk image from the repository.

I'll probably put this on SqueakMap also, if I can find a nice way to do the
the updates for an arbitrary image. This is a tricky business, because instances
of DateAndTime need to change at the same time that the Monticello loader is
making heavy use of DateAndTime to load the MCZs. A good old fashioned SAR
is the safest way to handle it, but Monticello is probably more approachable for
most of us.

Dave