[squeak-dev] Re: trunk update broken cuz there's an empty diffy version

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:06:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

> On 07.08.2014, at 19:52, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> >     source.squeak.org/trunk's Morphic-eem.740(cmm.739).mcd is empty.
>  How do we fix it?
>
> Not empty, but broken:
>
> bert$ unzip -t Morphic-eem.740\(cmm.739\).mcd
> Archive:  Morphic-eem.740(cmm.739).mcd
>     testing: package                  OK
>     testing: version                  OK
>     testing: base                     OK
>     testing: old/source.st
>   error:  invalid compressed data to inflate
>     testing: new/source.st
>   error:  invalid compressed data to inflate
>     testing: patch.bin                OK
>
> Since the meta data and patch.bin are okay I'd expect this to load anyway

It does now.  I don't understand this stuff well enough to know quite what
has happened :-(.

> I remember seeing messages about broken ZIP files. Was there a fix? Did
> someone fix the squeaksource image, too? The MCDs are generated on the
> server.

There was an issue with the plugin that meant that adding inst vars to
WriteStream and/or ReadStream would cause the plugin primitives to fail,
falling back on the image code.  There is an as-yet-undiagnosed bug that we
suspect is to do with wide characters in the image code that causes it to
fail to compress some sources (I suspect long sources that contain wide
characters).  Hence when I fixed (aStream on: coll from: nGreaterThanOne
to: limit) contents by adding inst vars to WriteStream and ReadStream the
image-level bug was provoked.

I've fixed the plugin in recent Cog VMs and IIRC David has folded the fix
into recent interpreter VMs.  But that still leaves the image code to debug.

> On a related note is there any way to get the updater to download full
> packages, avoiding the diffy versions?  e.g a preference?
>
> No pref, but you can comment out the diffy part in
> MCConfiguration>>versionNamed:for:from:.

Ah, OK.  Mahalo!  Any objections if I add a preference?
--
best,
Eliot