[squeak-dev] MutliByteFileStream and CrLfFileStream (and windows)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:36:35 UTC 2014

On 14 August 2014 14:23, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at keystone-software.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I don't know if this will help but VA Smalltalk has a global variable (a
> string in a pool dictionary) called "LineDelimiter".  When the image starts
> up it checks to see what platform (OS) it is running on and sets it to CrLf
> or Lf as appropriate.  This allows developers to use LineDelimiter wherever
> they want (where they need to match the platform) and not need to check the
> platform all over the place.  Maybe it will make life a little easier for
> you.

Having a global setting's OK, as long as it's possible to override the
setting. That's so that (a) one can write tests that will pass on any
OS and (b) so that when you write to files in a git repository you can
use LF line endings and not have to configure autocrlf conversion (on
Windows machines).

frank