[squeak-dev] Spur with Immediate Floating Point Support implies a break

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Dec 2 03:52:17 UTC 2014

Hi Eliot,

It's a bit off-topic, but shouldn't there be a primitive that can convert
a float from the boxed representation to immediate? Something like
primNormalizePositive for LargePositiveIntegers. I know it's possible
(or at least it should be, see below) to do it with an operation which has
no effect, but a dedicated primitive looks more natural to me.

Another thing is that it seems like the VM doesn't want to create
SmallFloat64 instances at all:

1.0 class "==> BoxedFloat64"

Maybe it's just the compiler not "normalizing":

(1.0 + 0.0) class "==> BoxedFloat64"
1.0 sin class "==> BoxedFloat64"

No, the plugin doesn't "normalize" either.

Levente