[squeak-dev] Problems Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10.1

B J quarterwavevertical at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 04:25:13 UTC 2014

I recently installed FreeBSD 10.1 (Intel i386) on an external hard
drive, using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login manager.  I am
having problems in getting Squeak to run on that system.

I used:

pkg install squeak

and the version that's installed is squeak-4.10.2_2

Running as root, I get the following messages:

CHECKING cogvm
CHECKING squeakvm
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

The result is a 1 GB file named squeakvm.core in the root directory.

If I remove it and re-install it through as a port,  I get the same
messages with squeakvm.core now located in:

/usr/ports/lang/squeak/work/state/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/

Squeak itself, without an image specified in the command line, appears
to run, so it seems that the installation has problems in reading
images.

Earlier, I tried different images and desktops, with the same result.

By comparison, I installed it on an internal drive on the same machine
several months ago.  I was using FreeBSD 10.0, Gnome 2 as the desktop,
and GDM as the login manager.  I had no problems in running Squeak
with that configuration, though I believe the version is
squeak-4.10.2.

I've made inquiries on the FreeBSD ports mailing list and in the
FreeBSD forum, but no solution so far.

Did I miss something or do something wrong?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.