[squeak-dev] No vm-display-x11 Plug-in After Building From Source On FreeBSD 10.1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Dec 14 12:25:03 UTC 2014

On 14.12.2014, at 05:23, B J <quarterwavevertical at gmail.com> wrote:

> Instead of using:
>
> pkg install squeak
>
> or building it from ports on FreeBSD 10.1, I tried building it from
> source.  It can't find vm-display-x11.so because it doesn't exist.
>
> I went through the usual "config" and "make" procedures, so I'm
> wondering what might have happened.
>
> As before, I've got the i386 version of FreeBSD 10.1 installed with
> the Mate desktop and Slim login manager.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

There's a couple things that may go wrong:

It's possible it was not built because of missing header or library files.

It's also possible the module's file name is different (e.g. on Linux it is so.vm-display-x11) so you might have a look in the vm's lib directory for what the actual name is.

Also, if you did not run "make install" you will have to pass the actual directory name for the plugins on the vm's command line.

Finally, even if the VM finds the module, it may fail to load if some dependent library is missing. On Linux I can check with "ldd pluginfile", not sure what the equivalent BSD command is.

- Bert -