[squeak-dev] No vm-display-x11 Plug-in After Building From Source On FreeBSD 10.1

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 15 03:35:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 06:01:17PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Had the same - probably - issue a few weeks ago building under Raspbian.
>
> So far as I could work out the problem is to do with the location of GL library and headers. In Raspbian I was loading the mesa-common-dev in order to get the openGL stuff. Without it you can build a working VM but without the B3DAcceleratorPlugin. With it the config ?passes? the test for the presence of the GH.h header(s) but the resultant vm-display-X11.so isn?t correctly linked to the libGL and so won?t come up.
>
> You *can* force a preload to get around this. For example
> `LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGL.so.1`
> stuck in front of the
> exec ?$Bin/squeak?..
> stuff seemed to solve the problem pro tem.
>
> Take a look at your squeak.stack.v3/build/config.log (or close equivalent) to see if this is the problem. Search for something like
> `checking GL/gl.h usability`
> and look at the output after that.
> If it doesn?t report
> `fatal error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory`
> then see if any of the compile/link stuff after that is trying to use -lGL as in libGL. My guess is that you have GL.h but the path to libGL is not correct. I don?t know how to fix that. My best answer was to remove the mesa-common-dev package and sidestep it for now.
>
> AutoBlech and it?s kin are crimes against nature.
>
> tim

Ian Piumarta ditched his earlier "autoblech" build and replaced it
with a much better CMake process. I think this was about a half dozen
years ago (!).  Presumably he did that in part because of the problems
that you are now experiencing. I also recall that there were some real
issues with 32 and 64 bit library management that were intractable
with autotools at the time, and that the CMake folks seem to have
addressed reasonably well.

Personally, I have very little patience for any of this stuff, so
I am happy to make use of the CMake build that Ian provided. It works
well, and has not had any of the 32/64 bit library management problems
that autotools were encountering at that time. It also works on my new
Ubuntu laptop with who knows what sort of compiler and build tools
(more than I can say for the autotools builds).

It is a complete mystery to me why anyone would want to reinvent this
particular wheel.

Dave