[squeak-dev] No vm-display-x11 Plug-in After Building From Source On FreeBSD 10.1

B J quarterwavevertical at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 05:46:38 UTC 2014

<snip>

>> The problem is that as it is, without having run "make install",
>> Squeak crashes and dumps a file.
>
> You are running some random mix of 64 bit executables and 32 bit plugins.
> This will crash and dump core. Don't do that. As I said before, you just
> need to install your VM and give it a try.
>
> If you prefer to skip the installation stop, you could manually copy the
> squeakvm executable and the */so.* modules from your build directory
> into some target directory and run it from there. If you then put your
> image and changes and and sources files into the same place, and run
> the squeakvm executable and the various plugin modules all from the same
> directory, it should work.
>
> But I strongly advise you *not* to do this. Just install your newly built
> VM properly and try it. The entire installation will go into /usr/local so
> you can easily get rid of it if you are not happy with the results.
>
> Summmary: If you install your VM, it will probably work. If you do not
> install it, it probably won't.

I just tried what you suggested, putting the image on the desktop.
Nothing much happens for several minutes, though, when checking using
top, I see that it takes a large amount of CPU time.  Then it crashes
with the only message being "Illegal instruction (core dumped)".

I've noticed that, during "make", there is an error with Mpeg3Plugin.
Even if I disable that during "configure" and proceed with the rest of
the installation process, I still get the same crash and error message
when I install Squeak and try to run it.

One difference I noticed between when I installed Squeak earlier this
year on a different hard drive from the FreeBSD repository and now is
that CMake was updated.  Back then, it was done using 2.8.x but now
it's 3.x and it is fussy about things like CMakeLists.txt files.  I'm
not quite sure how this exactly affects the building process.

<snip>