[squeak-dev] re: WebDAV interface design for launching, browsing, debugging, workspaces

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 23 18:43:53 UTC 2014

On 23-12-2014, at 9:41 AM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi Bert--
>
>> By "design", do you mean as an idea, or is it actually supposed to be
>> working right now?
>
>     An idea. Isn't that what people usually mean by "design”?

It’s one of those words that has become so corrupted by general usage (like ‘engineer’) that it could mean almost anything. A train driver is not an engineer. A plumber in not a ‘sanitary engineer’. The insane renderings on yankodesign are not designs.

Anyway, my problem was simply that I saw nothing the let me work out what to do once we got past the ‘turning off gatekeeper’ part. And I already know a modicum about Spoon from having discussed it with Craig for… a long time, actually. (And, way to go Apple, with a meaningless and confusing error message)

Once it started up I got a web page on a server running on localhost. OK, fair enough, that suggests there may be links to follow. Hmm, just one, for a long uuid. Try that. Nothing… literally, a blank page.

Try adding various terms to the end of the url as implide by the text - ‘workspaces’, ‘session/state’ etc. Nothing. I see stuff about mounting webdav in a text editor… no idea what that might men. I’ve read ‘webdav’ but I’ve never knowingly had anything to do with it. There’s probably a very simple explanation that would sort all this out and could be added to the root page presented when opening the app.

Oh, and an explanation of how to shut it down politely would be nice, too. WIth no visible dock icon I had to resort to Activity Monitor to find the process and force quit.

tim
If only people came with pull-down menus and online help.