[squeak-dev] Build Slave

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 10:07:48 UTC 2014

On 7 February 2014 06:07, Jeff Gonis <jeff.gonis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I know I am little bit overdue here, but I have my OSX machine set up with a
> Windows 8 machine to follow shortly.  I have it connected to the jenkins
> server, but when I attempt to have it run the Squeak-OSX project it chooses
> to run on the "norst" slave, ignoring mine.  I can't seem to figure out how
> to get it to run on my machine so that I can at least confirm that I am set
> up correctly.  If anyone has any pointers here they would be appreciated, or
> if you can just go ahead and run a build on my machine and let me know if
> all went well that would be appreciated as well.
>
> Anyway, hopefully this can help out with our OSX infrastructure.

Thanks!

The only thing missing was labelling the slave with "osx". This guy -
http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk-OSX/553/ - is now running on
your machine. It will in all likelihood fail, because I don't know how
to make the Interpreter VM run headless properly on OSX.

Ah, yes, it did fail, but for an odd reason: "Caused by:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space". Now Tony Garnock-Jones and
I have seen this error many times. I think it's because when Jenkins
runs builds it generates new class definitions (and classes live in
PermGen). Thus, after a while, a build slave will start throwing these
errors. However, I'm surprised to see you hit these so early. The
thing to do is to tell the JVM to allocate more space to the PermGen.
How exactly to do that I have forgotten, and the answer is on my Mac
at home!

frank