[squeak-dev] GSoC time

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Fri Feb 7 12:09:18 UTC 2014

What motivates me to learn vm-dev (besides the fact that it is interesting) is the desire to bring Squeak to a state where it will be embraced by the Linux crowd.

Some of the projects I have in mind are:

1. Squeak as  X server/client...where launching StartX on linux invokes squeak and the window manager is squeak.
2. In addition to Morphic, I would like to port Chrome (as a plugin, I guess--I don't know enough) so that Seaside could be a desktop.
    I would love to see a desktop with  "renderFooOn: aSeasideWorld
3. In the same idea as 2, use OpenGL
4. I have a broken project of HLA up on SqueakSource (?) that I would like to finish.
5. Emacs interface to the Squeak dev tools (heresy, I know).

I do not think that  I have the coding chops to do the above yet. that is why I am working on the port of the StackInterpreter to naitve 64 and then 64x64 followed by Cog to native 64.
I figure at that point I will be fluent enough to attempt the above.

cordially,

tty.

---- On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 02:13:58 -0800 Frank Shearar<frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote ----

So. Some kind people (GSoC) are willing to throw money at us if only
we have something for people to do.

We really, really ought to propose projects. We did nothing last year,
and so got nothing.

For starters, there's work to be done in finishing porting Cog to ARM.
What else might we usefully propose?

For instance, I'd like to see a project bringing Reactive Extensions
[1] to Squeak. Or a Cap'n Proto [2] implementation, whether through
FFI or native. Or maybe there's useful work to be done in the UI
department.

Suggestions, folks!

frank

[1] https://rx.codeplex.com/