[squeak-dev] Celeste (was: GSoC time)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Feb 9 22:04:54 UTC 2014

On 09-02-2014, at 12:29 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
>> I think I’d prefer the original release of Marcel (circa 1995,
>> http://www.riscos.com/the_archive/rol/faqs/antsuite.htm) to pretty
>> much any web based email I’ve ever yet seen.
>
> I wasn't able to find any screen shots to get a feel for what it was
> like. Before Celeste I used KMail for many years. I am not picky and so
> far the only email client that has really bothered me is Outlook Express
> (which I still use for an old account). Refusing to show me as much
> detail as I need is something I can't forgive

Early versions of Marcel simply presented a list of emails. Click on one and it sent an OS message to request your choice of text editor open it. Fortunately even back then StrongEd was freaking amazing, so it wasn’t a bad way to do things.
(As an example of how fast an editor can be, StrongEd on a RISCOS Pi can read in all the sources files for the VM in 10-15 secs. It can present a list of all the hits for searching globally for a word usually in less than one screen refresh)

>  I have to be very
> careful to keep Celeste databases below 2GB, which is really annoying.
> It would be good to import everything into a single place.

How about using Magma? Then all we need is a Spotlight adapter for it so it integrates into OS X nicely. Easy :-)

tim
Strange OpCodes: TDB: Transfer and Drop Bits