[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Mon Feb 10 09:10:29 UTC 2014

Janko,

>From what I know from good business practices is that what helps in keeping
things in order is good financial management and transparency.

So, the general ledger should be made accessible so things are clear on
that front.

For the Google story, upfront payment by ESUG while waiting for Google
money should have been registered with postings that reflected that (like
with an account on "expected revenue from Google") and balanced against it.

If one would spend money beyond the credit limits, there would be an issue.
So, escalation should be taking place to decide.

There seems to be a board, and the board ultimately decides on that front.
Which it apparently did.

Whoever is not happy with that decision will at one point accept it as this
is the top decision point. Or start a revolution, split, or whatever.

There are always things going on behind the curtain. Politics is a fact of
life. I you have a personal gripe with some members, you put the dead rat
on the table. Now is it time time speak up about who/what/why and discuss
that with them.

Now, the Smalltalk community appears to be fragmented, and the Pharo|Squeak
technology, even if very cool, is currently not helping me much on the
revenue making front. My bottom line isn't booking more that EUR 15K on
Pharo related sales. Not that I am not pushing. I'd love to be putting
decent bread on the table through Pharo.

FWIW, when it comes to current trends like Internet of Things, BigData
[Hadoop stuff], and Mobile, Smalltalk is at ground zero given the
ecosystem. So, fighting internally like that isn't getting us forward while
everything is swooshing past.

Phil