[squeak-dev] Unethical behaviour on GSoC 2010 (was The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Feb 10 16:38:48 UTC 2014

Time therefore to expose that sad story from GSoC 2010. So that the
community can judge by themselves if my claims are insults or real.

For the start, this was not a money matter but meddling into project
selection process.

Here is the story:

On GSoC 2010 Gilad Bracha proposed a Newspeak/Smalltalk Import/Export
Tool project idea [1]. After the idea was put on ideas list [2],
Stéphane Ducasse ordered my co-admin to remove Gilad's idea from the
list. Co-admin told that to me. I was shocked that someone can come to
such an idea to remove something even in the idea phase from the GSoC.
Of course I rejected such an order immediately.

Even more, co-admin was at that time just starting the postgraduade
study under the Mr.Ducasse mentorship. You can imagine how he felt, like
between two fires. It is reasonable therefore to suspect that Mr.Duccase
uses his power as a mentor over postgraduate student to try to achieve
his goal.

What was the motivation of Mr.Ducasse to made such a blatant act was not
quite clear to me. And is also not important. Important is that such
removal attempts are totally unacceptable. Only GSoC mentors have that
right by reviewing and voting on the projects to be finally selected for
stipendiums.

In any case, this incident was a start of my thinking and working on
GSoC to be as transparent, neutral and independent as possible.

Best regards
Janko

[1] http://gsoc2010.esug.org/projects/newspeak-tool
[2] http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas

Dne 10. 02. 2014 15:30, piše Stéphane Ducasse:
> I can tell you that until now I took that as a little crisis of Janko but now this makes me sick.
> I do not think that I will stand in the same room than him in the future.
>
> Sorry Janko you are insulting people publicly but you mention that you don't.
> I will check if I have a lawyer to handle this situation because you cannot have just words against me.
> I will check with the inria lawyer first.
>
> Stef
>

>> I do not understand the motivation of Janko, especially since he is apparently alone to think that way.
>> It is impressive to see how fragile the community is.
>> Thanks Paolo and thanks the ESUG board for handling this difficult situation!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On Feb 10, 2014, at 7:14 AM, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I support it, too.
>>>
>>> The only path to action I see is to act. And in this situation, Paolo was the only one that offered a pragmatic way out. Thank you, Paolo! :)
>>>
>>> So, I suggest this:
>>> - we take Marcus' suggestion and have the present issue be handled at the next ESUG general assembly. Like this we ensure that the problem is going to be addressed in a more effective environment (namely, more structured, and not via mail).
>>> - we go forward with Paolo as an admin. Like this we ensure that action happens now.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I support this, along with a general require that you keep this discussion in private.
>>>
>>> Esteban

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing has its own flow"