[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] Unethical behaviour on GSoC 2010 (was The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:14:42 UTC 2014

On 10 February 2014 17:38, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> Time therefore to expose that sad story from GSoC 2010. So that the
> community can judge by themselves if my claims are insults or real.
>
> For the start, this was not a money matter but meddling into project
> selection process.
>
> Here is the story:
>
> On GSoC 2010 Gilad Bracha proposed a Newspeak/Smalltalk Import/Export
> Tool project idea [1]. After the idea was put on ideas list [2],
> Stéphane Ducasse ordered my co-admin to remove Gilad's idea from the
> list. Co-admin told that to me. I was shocked that someone can come to
> such an idea to remove something even in the idea phase from the GSoC.
> Of course I rejected such an order immediately.
>
> Even more, co-admin was at that time just starting the postgraduade
> study under the Mr.Ducasse mentorship. You can imagine how he felt, like
> between two fires. It is reasonable therefore to suspect that Mr.Duccase
> uses his power as a mentor over postgraduate student to try to achieve
> his goal.
>
> What was the motivation of Mr.Ducasse to made such a blatant act was not
> quite clear to me. And is also not important. Important is that such
> removal attempts are totally unacceptable. Only GSoC mentors have that
> right by reviewing and voting on the projects to be finally selected for
> stipendiums.
>
> In any case, this incident was a start of my thinking and working on
> GSoC to be as transparent, neutral and independent as possible.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> [1] http://gsoc2010.esug.org/projects/newspeak-tool
> [2] http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas

Lol.
Now please think how much curses will be there if this would be allowed.

Else why just Newspeak? Why not Ruby, Self, C, C#, Lisp etc.. (i bet there
are many mentors/students who would want to paid for doing project in the
language of their choice).
Except that it is not smalltalk.. and has nothing to do with ESUG mission.
And therefore Stef was absolutely correct.
Case closed.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.