[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] Unethical behaviour on GSoC 2010 (was The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude)

Gilad Bracha gbracha at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:47:21 UTC 2014

I should know better than to get involved in this sad affair.

I will note that when the Smalltalk GSoc effort started, I was *explicitly
asked to participate*. I myself noted that Newspeak is sufficiently
different from Smalltalk that it should be regarded as a different
language, but was assured that this effort was designed to be inclusive of
anything in the Smalltalk family.

So I proposed a few projects none of which were accepted.  I think that's
fine - no one has to agree with me on what is important or interesting.

I also think that saying that Newspeak is outside the Smalltalk "tent" is a
legitimate position, even if I may disagree. I know may others in the
Smalltalk community have felt that Newspeak, while different, is part of
the family. After all, I and I my colleagues have been invited to speak
about Newspeak at Smalltalk conferences several times.

I have no interest in starting a flame war here - I have watched the recent
goings on on this list with a feeling of great sadness. I have done what I
can to help Smalltalk, and individuals in that community (you know who you
are) and will continue to do so.

However, after 2010 I did not participate in GSoc, since it was clear that
my ideas did not coincide with those of  the wider Smalltalk community.

I won't say any more on the topic. I wish you all the best, and I'm glad
the GSoc effort continues.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 February 2014 17:38, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
>
>> Time therefore to expose that sad story from GSoC 2010. So that the
>> community can judge by themselves if my claims are insults or real.
>>
>> For the start, this was not a money matter but meddling into project
>> selection process.
>>
>> Here is the story:
>>
>> On GSoC 2010 Gilad Bracha proposed a Newspeak/Smalltalk Import/Export
>> Tool project idea [1]. After the idea was put on ideas list [2],
>> Stéphane Ducasse ordered my co-admin to remove Gilad's idea from the
>> list. Co-admin told that to me. I was shocked that someone can come to
>> such an idea to remove something even in the idea phase from the GSoC.
>> Of course I rejected such an order immediately.
>>
>> Even more, co-admin was at that time just starting the postgraduade
>> study under the Mr.Ducasse mentorship. You can imagine how he felt, like
>> between two fires. It is reasonable therefore to suspect that Mr.Duccase
>> uses his power as a mentor over postgraduate student to try to achieve
>> his goal.
>>
>> What was the motivation of Mr.Ducasse to made such a blatant act was not
>> quite clear to me. And is also not important. Important is that such
>> removal attempts are totally unacceptable. Only GSoC mentors have that
>> right by reviewing and voting on the projects to be finally selected for
>> stipendiums.
>>
>> In any case, this incident was a start of my thinking and working on
>> GSoC to be as transparent, neutral and independent as possible.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>>
>> [1] http://gsoc2010.esug.org/projects/newspeak-tool
>> [2] http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas
>>

> Lol.
> Now please think how much curses will be there if this would be allowed.
>
> Else why just Newspeak? Why not Ruby, Self, C, C#, Lisp etc.. (i bet there
> are many mentors/students who would want to paid for doing project in the
> language of their choice).
> Except that it is not smalltalk.. and has nothing to do with ESUG mission.
> And therefore Stef was absolutely correct.
> Case closed.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.