[squeak-dev] Andreas projects on SS

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Feb 13 17:25:53 UTC 2014

Hi Chris and all!

On 02/13/2014 05:25 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
[SNIP]
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> ...and btw, adding notes on Projects on SS that they are dead and pointing
>>> to StHub was a good idea BUT... my notes are gone. Probably due to SS
>>> restarted and losing data. Hmmm, I think I will delete my old projects
>>> simply.
>
> Please do not delete old projects from SqueakSource.  Just because YOU
> don't access "old code" because you use Pharo doesn't mean others
> don't access it using Squeak.  Pleaes feel free to *copy* projects
> there, but "moving" projects presumes and intrudes way too much.

A lot of misconceptions above:

1. I use both Squeak and Pharo, both at work (3DICC) and for pleasure.
What has that got to do with SS? AFAIK SS doesn't care.

2. My own personal projects are probably my own to decide over, right?
My whole point was described in another reply to Levente (note that I am
now talking about my own account, not Andreas):

- I don't trust SS (and that is my choice)
- I can't create new projects there and I want to use a single service
- I don't want people to find a stale StompProtocol project when the
current place for StompProtocol is on StHub
- StHub works just as fine as an MC source as SS

Now, what I *did* was that I added a bold note on each project that I
had copied over - so that people would see that "Oh, this is not
maintained". Now, those notes *ALL DISAPPEARED*. This is why I am now
contemplating removal of the projects instead.

> In fact, I think we should remove the ability to delete projects from SS.

What?!

> As original creator of Squeak's software catalog, you know better than
> anyone that a software Catalog is the proper way to document what
> versions work for what platform and where they can be installed from.

Its not that easy anymore - SqueakMap is not used outside of Squeak
(Pharo), and I would dare say its not even used 100% in the Squeak
community.

Further - it doesn't matter - I should be free to choose which
repository I use for my code, don't you agree? If you want to copy my
projects and publish them in your account - feel free to do so.

But preventing me from moving my primary repo to somewhere else than SS
is ... rude to say the least.

>> Not all projects are dead on squeaksource.com. If you don't plan to update
>> your projects there, then add a pointer to the new repository. Deleting the
>> projects will not help at all.
>
> +1.

See my response to that, I *did* and it got removed. See?

Sigh... why are people suddenly so hostile?

regards, Göran