[squeak-dev] Andreas projects on SS

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 20:17:35 UTC 2014

Göran, I could never feel hostility toward you.  What I do/did feel
about deleting projects is some "urgency" to speak before you pushed
the delete button.

If you are the _sole_ admin (and sole developer), sure, the decision
is yours, but the subject if this thread is about _Andreas'_ projects
and what to do.  You suggested 1) gain access, 2) copy to new repo, 3)
delete old repo.  If we are talking about Andreas' projects, then I'm
strongly opposed to 3.  If we weren't, then I apologize for my
misunderstanding.

I'm also opposed to (1) only to the extent it mutates any objects
Andreas made.  If we could get by with ONLY adding new versions to a
project, then that'd only be extending Andreas' original work without
modifying it, probably fine.  Otherwise, I think we should extend it
in a new project of our own, and add or update appropriate entries in
the catalog.

We could _try_ to do catalog management by deleting projects from SS
or leaving notes to go look somewhere else, but in a community and
license that encourages copy-and-modify, that is a futile and
certainly lame way to do cataloging, because a new project with the
same or similar name would spring up and lead to the same or similar
confusion you're trying to avoid for someone looking for Göran's code.

For others' projects for which we have no admin access, it simply
doesn't work at all, because its wrong to break in and molest their
space.