[squeak-dev] Squeaksource.com (was: Andreas projects on SS)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Feb 14 12:41:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:46:15AM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 14.02.2014, at 09:18, G?ran Krampe <goran at krampe.se> wrote:
>
> Squeaksource.com is a service for providing personal (or shared) repositories. If the owner decides to remove it, it should be her choice alone. Taking over the server does not change that. This is unlike source.squeak.org which is for "official" projects, where we can dictate the rules (and one of them is never to delete old versions).
>
> I seem to hear that people event want to create new projects there. With its new home, that is an option we did not have a year ago. I'm not sure yet whether this is a good idea or not: Let's discuss.

My feeling is that we should strongly encourage new projects to be opened on the
newer repository services, but we should not strictly prohibit it.

The SS3 and StHub projects are actively developed and supported by people who
want to host new projects. We should support their efforts and be happy that
they are willing to do the work, both in developing the services and in providing
them to the community.

On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to open new project on squeaksource.com
once in a while. As an example, I was recently thinking of updating my old DirectoryPlugin
from 10 years ago and putting it into Monticello. I do not really want to put it into
an existing project such as OSProcessPlugin because it is not really related to OSProcess.
I could put it on SS3, but that would mean that some of my plugins are on SS3 and others
on SS.com. And I certainly don't want to put it in the VMMaker project on source.squeak.org.
In a case like this it would be convenient if I were able to open a new project for
DirectoryPlugin on squeaksource.com.

Dave