[squeak-dev] Andreas projects on SS

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Feb 14 12:55:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:18:40AM +0100, G?ran Krampe wrote:
> Hi David!
>
> >You mentioned earlier that some of your project updates had been lost.
> >Very possibly this was during the earlier period when squeaksource.com
> >was losing data after every image restart. I don't think we have any way
> >to recover lost data from that time period, but if you are able to re-enter
> >the information, I am confident that it will not get lost again.
>
> I reentered, it was no big deal.
>
> Since I haven't followed this - did you move to Magma or? Is that why
> things are not going to get lost from now on?

Hi G?ran,

I fixed (or just worked around) a couple of bugs, mainly related to WideString
user names. I also moved the repository to a new image borrowed from source.squeak.org
so that it is now running on the same SqueakSource and Seaside code base as
source.squeak.org.

Other than that there are no changes.

Before those changes, squeaksource.com was losing data every time the image was
restarted. This was mainly because the startup list processing was failing due
to a WideString bug, so the normal startup did not complete when the image was
restarted. Then the image required restarting every few weeks due to a socket
handle leak. So every once in a while we would get a span storm of "new update
notices" after someone restarted the squeaksource.com image, and previously
entered data would get lost. There may also have been problems in how the image
was being saved for restart, I'm not really sure.

In any case, those problems are behind us since squeaksource.com was moved to
the servers at squeak.org. I would not say that it is completely problem free,
but it has been quite reliable, and it requires only accasional intervention
by me or one of the box-admins.

Dave