[squeak-dev] re: homepage

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 01:46:19 UTC 2014

There's a lot in that email, so I'll start with what I think is the most important thing.

Owing to Ken's advice and Janko's quick assistance, the webteam board will reopen tomorrow. Then people can throw what ideas at the wall they want.

> In the image carousel we have some images that need updating and checking.

As to images for the carousel, they are 570x330 at 72 dpi. Go nuts. Make ones you want and post'em to the webteam list. We should likely limit the number to ten or twelve or something.
And, yea, they should likely have links as they pass that go to further content. Trying to load each image with where to go for more information is a bit much. I'm not married to any of them.
We can put up whatever people want. 570x330 pixels.

The only one I'm sort of invested in is the Raspberry Pi one, because i went through trouble to make it and then realized I hadn't used any of the tools in the NutPi package, which would have made my life easier. But really that's neither here nor there.

>Does clicking on the carousel typically provide links to something about the entry? We need content for them. If we can’t come up with interesting content, >why do we think anyone would bother to read the site?
>Would a simple static list of the same links off to one side be sensible? Once one knows what is in th>e carousel it is likely quicker to get there via a list rather than wait for it to come around.

Links from images in the carousel to content is a good idea. I just haven't added links at this point.

The Atlantic also uses a Bootstrap carousel, so there are clearly un-exploited options.

http://www.theatlantic.com/

>Under the carousel there is sensible space for three short columns.
I think there's a more pressing problem. Where do you announce something? I have a feeling a section between the carousel and the three short columns needs to be added to announce 4.5's release. A sort of "latest announcements" section.

> Chris - what format for submissions would make life simplest?

The webteam list will be a record for all possible ideas. People can post there and the ideas can be carded into a useful shape.

Ken said he could have a birth for the new image a couple of days. Say what you will: Ken and Janko get it done.

Chris