[squeak-dev] Authorize upArrow in binary symbols

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Feb 24 19:01:26 UTC 2014

On 24-02-2014, at 10:52 AM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Though being reserved for return statements, the upArrow ^ could perfectly be accepted as a character composing a binary selector, like the verticalBar | already is.

[snip]

> What do you think?

I think that it would be a massive cognitive overload when reading code. The return signifier needs to be a unique artefact, whatever it is.

foo bar blah ^ ribbet factorial

Quick - is that correct code or should there be a ‘.’ in front of the ^ ? Will it crash the spaceship?

I wish we still had a proper up arrow rather than a caret, not to mention the proper left arrow assign instead of the nonsensical Pascal :=.

tim
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor and when was the last time you needed one? -- Tom Cargin