[squeak-dev] working on the All-In-One

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Feb 27 18:05:22 UTC 2014

On 27-02-2014, at 7:58 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello?
>
> There seems to be a decided lack of interest in Macintosh support for
> the Squeak 4.5 release.

I’m not at all sure how it is supposed to work, having never tried it before.

Downloads ok.
Click on it and you get the warning that it was downloaded and is not from a signed developer blah blah.
ctl-click to the get menu and ‘open’ which purportedly lets you tell the system to accept it anyway - seems to do that part ok.
Now if you d-click on the package you get the file dialogue to choose the image, which
a) presumably shouldn’t happen because we want the proper image started up automatically
b) doesn’t let you even see the image because you can’t go into the package. I imagine there might be some way to specify it opening in the right directory but of course we shouldn’t even be seeing it.

Now I see Tobias’ message and can’t work out how it could work for him and not for me. I’m on the same OS X  version.

Other notes - I ran the image by dragging to my usual vm and it starts up ok; but it’s named Squeak4.5-13680 - is that how we want it? I don’t mind but it looked a tad odd and I suppose I expected Squeak4.5 with no suffix.
When opened it is a completely blank image; no help windows or welcome or anything open. I *thought* I’d sent a message about that earlier but maybe I messed up.

Quickly looking in the plist file I see that the version name/number is still shown as
	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
	<string>Squeak 4.4, VM 4.2.3b1u</string>

&
	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	<string>4.4</string>
&
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne44</string>
&
	<key>CFBundleName</key>
	<string>Squeak 4.4</string>
… which presumably ought to be updated. I’m guessing here - no idea what plist files really do! I was trying to see if I could spot any place that might look like it stored a default directory to look for the image, since that is clearly not working on my machine. Ooh, here we are, a suspicious chunk -
	<key>SqueakImageName</key>
	<string>Squeak4.4-12327.image</string>

OK, changing that worked nicely. IF I twist this bit… here… and squeeze that…