[squeak-dev] Socket connection signals ought to be handled?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Feb 27 20:21:38 UTC 2014

On 27-02-2014, at 10:47 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your note is amusing.  Saying an exception is not handled, but not
> saying what should be done by the handler.  Simultaneously admitting
> not knowing about sockets and criticizing its "up-to-dateness".  I
> guess you mean correctness.

No, I mean that I looked a socket code to try to find examples to help me understand how they might have changed since the ancient scratch code I need to update, found that the #connect… methods now appear to include what used to be in the #waitForConn… type methods and then tried a bit of test code that seems not to be using the newer system.

Since the newer code raises exceptions from the #connect… rather than simply setting the socket status, the test code opens a degugger. Now maybe some other test code in the unit test stuff does indeed handle the exception but I didn’t spot it. And the point remains that doing
socket connect….
socket waitUntil….
will potentially do the wait timeout twice which seems unlikely to be what is wanted.

tim
Useful random insult:- Suffers from Clue Deficit Disorder.