[squeak-dev] Preferences ignoreStyleIfOnlyBold

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 19:36:46 UTC 2014

On 3 January 2014 19:32, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> Just FYI: this makes it impossible to use/port CodeTalk[1] in/to
>>> Squeak 4.5.
>>> And I actually used it once or twice, not that this would be important :)
>>
>> Oh, that does matter.  Tobias, I think you're saying CodeTalk wants to
>> store Text into the .changes and possibly MC because that's where it
>> stores its code annotations.  Is that right?  But they don't actually
>> need that preference too do they?
>
> It just stores its information as text attributes, which then goes to
> the Changes file, IIRC.
> It has to patch monticello in order to save the information but that
> is independent of the style stuff.
>
> As a matter of fact, CodeTalk forces the Preference to be ON.

So effectively CodeTalk turns

newText := (requestor notNil and: [Preferences confirmFirstUseOfStyle])
    ifTrue: [aText askIfAddStyle: priorMethodOrNil req: requestor]
    ifFalse: [aText]

into aText?

Doing that means we can rip out #askIfAddStyle:req and Preferences
confirmFirstUseOfStyle. That would sever the Collections -> Tools
dependency, and would be a late Christmas treat for me.

frank