[squeak-dev] Is prompting to make a pool dictionary useful?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jan 4 14:31:47 UTC 2014

On 02.01.2014, at 11:47, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Class >> #sharing: asks a user if they want to automatically create a
> pool dictionary. Under what conditions would you _not_ want to create
> the pool dictionary?

In case you misspelled the name. It's really much more common to create the pool first and *then* add it to a class. I've never run into that dialog.

> And why does it create a Dictionary, not a SharedPool? (I see that "we
> do not fileout SharedPool type shared pools for now'", according to
> Class >> #fileOutPool:onFileStream:.)

They used to be simple dictionaries, and still can be. The code is not really wrong.

Shared pools don't have to be SharedPool instances. These are just convenient for manipulating them using a class browser.

This piece of code would have to offer a choice, and if you wanted to create a real SharedPool, then you need to pick a class category for it, too. And if you touch the code, then offering a list of potential shared pools would be nice, and lead to less misspelling ;)

- Bert -