[squeak-dev] Timing out Trait tests

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jan 11 19:19:47 UTC 2014

On 11-01-2014, at 6:29 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> A bunch of the Trait tests fail, despite no one having worked on the
> Traits code in quite a while. The symptom is that the tests time out
> [1]. I've tried to debug some, only to find that they pass. For
> instance, <timeout: 60> sometimes "fixes" the tests.
>
> But the tests shouldn't be failing. Any takers?

I noticed similar issues when running test on a Pi; being a relatively slow machine it takes longer to do some things and needed a larger timeout value.

If tests that used to run within the time are now taking longer but still pass if given enough time, that implies to me that either
a) the tests are being run on a slower machine due to some system configuration change (are other jobs also running and taking time?)
b) something has changed in the execution path to slow down the tested code. Which obviously, ought not be the case.

tim
Useful random insult:- Can't program his way out of a for-loop.