[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cwp.662.mcz

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Sun Jan 12 19:02:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Say you want to wrap every object in the system in a proxy.
> You would need to use #allObjectsDo:. but when we enumerate all
> object, the new ones too, we end up having proxies for proxies for
> proxies ad infinitum (endless non-loop…) and we can’t know it…

Yeah, that's an example of creating objects faster than we can enumerate
them. (Or, exactly as fast as we can enumerate them, I suppose). It
wouldn't have worked pre-closures, either.

The consensus so far is that we like the safety of a sentinel object, as it
lets us do whatever we want within the loop, and potentially not seeing all
the objects in the image is an acceptable trade-off for that safety. Fair
enough.

Colin