[squeak-dev] DisplayHostWindow questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jan 13 11:13:06 UTC 2014

On 13.01.2014, at 03:56, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:

> OK, managed to download Squeak 4.4 and the first thing I noticed was the comment about host windows.
>
> So, I found the example DisplayHostWindow examplePaint and "did it."
>
> Kool. Random color drawing in an external window. So.. the thought processes went sorta like this...

> Let's make a video. First, let's practice. Execute the example code. Hmmm. Freezes out the rest of squeak.

Works fine for me on Mac OS. You can still see the text cursor blinking in your workspace, which means Squeak is not frozen.

To make the main Squeak window accept input, you have to raise it to the top using its title bar. This is something the VM should do automatically, but since nobody uses multiple windows, this has not been necessary yet.

YMMV on other platforms.

- Bert -