[squeak-dev] Seaside on Squeak

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Jan 15 02:00:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 14-01-2014, at 5:17 PM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
> > Meh. Don't worry about it. Seaside is obsolete anyway.
>
> Really? I haven’t taken any interest in web development in ages; what’s
> the replacement for Seaside?

It's not that there's a replacement. It's more that the problem it solves
isn't a problem anymore.  Continuations were a brilliant way to manage apps
that were basically dynamically generated web pages connected via links and
forms. But Javascript runtimes have gotten way, way faster, more robust and
more standardized in the last 10 years.  Modern web apps are more of a
client-server model: the UI rendering and interface logic is all done in
Javascript running in the browser, and it communicates with the server by
shuttling JSON back and forth over HTTP. In that sort of a system,
continuations don't provide any benefit, and the drawbacks start to become
significant.

Colin